OHV Regulations

Motorcycles and ATVs, as legally defined in the California Vehicle Code, are allowed to operate throughout the park on trails and fire roads. All other vehicles (including 4x4s, Odysseys, Pilots and special construction vehicles) are prohibited from operating in the hills and are restricted to the valley floor.

You are responsible to know park rules and regulations. All provisions of the California Vehicle Code are enforced. Upon entering each SVRA check at the front kiosk for current rules and regulations.

Spark Arrestors: All OHV vehicles must be equipped with an approved spark arrestor. Spark arrestors will be checked at the entrance. If you do not have a spark arrestor installed you cannot ride that vehicle in the park. Learn more at Spark Arrestor Law.

Sound Limit: Learn more at OHV Sound Regulations or Noise Limit Law – AB 2274

Registration: All vehicles operated off-highway on public lands in California are required to be street-licensed or registered as an OHV through the Department of Motor Vehicles and display a current green or red sticker. Funds generated from OHV registration are used for acquisition, development, and operation of OHV areas.

Out of State OHV: If an Off-highway vehicle has current registration in a state with an Off-Highway Vehicle Program, then registration requirements do not apply. All OHV’s registered out-of-state, must comply with the California Air Resources Board’s (CARB) regulations, based on the vehicle’s emission designation, not the residence of the owner. A non-compliant (Red Sticker) OHV, can only be operated during open, Red Sticker riding season, with a California Non-resident OHV Permit. Non-Resident Stickers can be purchased at the Kiosk for $30. More Information About Non-Resident OHV Permits

On-Highway Laws that apply to OHV

A driver’s license is not required to operate a vehicle off-highway, but if your driving privilege is suspended or revoked, you cannot operate any vehicle either on or off-highway in California. 

The laws regarding driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs apply throughout California, both on and off-highway. 

The CVC prohibits open alcoholic beverage containers in OHVs.

To read more about OHV laws and safety, please visit our California State Parks OHV Laws/Safety page. 


Double riding is against the law. Unless specifically designed to carry a passenger, it is against the law for an operator to carry a passenger on an ATV

Operators are required to wear a helmet at all times while riding an ATV on public lands


All riders ages 14 to 17 must:

Possess an ATV Safety Certificate, or

Be under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian who has completed an ATV safety course and has an ATV Safety Certificate in his/her possession

Additionally, riders 13 years of age and younger must be directly supervised by a parent or guardian at all times

Information on obtaining an ATV Certificate can be found at the following link:

ATV Safety Institute



Off Trail Riding Regulations

Operating a dirt bike or ATV off trail within the Trails Only Riding Area is a violation of the following California Vehicle Code.

CVC 38301 Unlawful to Violate Special Regulations

(a) It is unlawful to operate a vehicle in violation of special regulations which have been promulgated by the governmental agency having jurisdiction over public lands, including, but not limited to, regulations governing access, routes of travel, plants, wildlife, wildlife habitat, water resources, and historical sites.

Speed Limits

The speed limit is 15mph on the park’s main road and within 50ft of any campsite and concentration of people or animals.


Operation of unmanned aircraft, commonly referred to as “drones” is prohibited within the park units compromising Diablo Range District, including Carnegie SVRA.

Carnegie State Vehicle Recreation Area Camping Regulations

Juvenile Curfew

Carnegie State Vehicular Recreation Area is hereby under a curfew for juveniles regarding public use, entry or occupancy.

  1. Juvenile curfew hours are 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM every day, unless otherwise posted.
  2. This curfew shall apply to all juveniles except as follows:
    1. A juvenile who is accompanied by a parent or guardian.
    2. A juvenile who is part of a group permitted on State Park property and who is supervised by at least one responsible adult for each 15 juveniles.
    3. A juvenile who is lawfully camping by furnishing to the local State Park authority written consent from the juvenile’s parent or guardian including full name, residence address, and telephone number of the juvenile’s parent or guardian. Written notice shall include the inclusive dates for which the permission is granted to camp at the specified, named State Park.

  1. Only wood and untreated wood products free from metal, petroleum products, or other toxic substances shall be used for campfires or recreational fires.
  2. No person shall import, transport, or possess any wood, plastic, or fiber pallet.
  3. No person shall ignite, burn, or maintain any wood, plastic, or fiber pallet fire.