Welcome to the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Division’s Grant Programs
What we do….
The OHMVR Division manages the Grants and Cooperative Agreements Program (Grants Program). The Grants Program is an annual program that provides for well managed off-highway vehicle (OHV) recreation in the State of California by providing financial assistance to eligible agencies and organizations that develop, maintain, operate, expand, support, or contribute to well managed high-quality OHV recreation areas, roads and trails. Also as important, the Grants Program seeks to responsibly maintain the wildlife, soils, and habitat of project areas in a manner that will sustain long-term OHV recreation.
In addition to the Grants Program, the OHMVR Division is also responsible for the motorized portion of the Recreational Trails Program (RTP). The RTP is an assistance program of the Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). The RTP provides funds to California to develop and maintain recreational trails and trail-related facilities for both non-motorized and motorized recreational trail uses. Click here for more information on RTP.
Did you know…
- Since the advent of the Grants Program in 1974, grant recipients have received more than $530 million statewide.
- Grants were first awarded to local agencies in 1974 and in 1979 to the United States Forest Service (USFS) and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).
- Approximately 80 percent of the OHV riding opportunities are outside state of California managed lands.
- Through our USFS partners, over 18,000 miles and 269,000 acres are available for OHV Recreation.
- Through our BLM partners, over 18,000 miles and 478,000 of acres are made available for OHV Recreation.
Grants Program – Quick Reference
To assist new and prospective Applicants/Grantees become more familiar with the Grants Program, the Grants Unit has put together a series of “quick reference” informational videos. These videos are a great place to start if you are looking for some foundational information about the Grants Program:
Project Type Overview:
Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
The California Department of Parks and Recreation’s Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division is proposing to amend the Grants and Cooperative Agreements Program Regulations and documents incorporated by reference.
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
- Proposed Regulatory Language
- Proposed Regulatory Language - Appendix
- Initial Statement of Reasons
Any interested person, or his or her authorized representative, may submit written comments relative to the proposed rulemaking. The written comment period ends on July 26, 2021. The Department will consider only written comments received at the Department’s office by that time.
Written comments may be sent by email, mail, or facsimile. Emailed comments can be sent to OHV.Grants@parks.ca.gov or link to the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking above for information on mailing or faxing comments.
Additionally, the Department has scheduled a telephonic public hearing on the proposed rulemaking. The hearing will be held on July 27, 2021 and can be accessed through the conference line number below. The meeting will commence at 2:00 p.m.
Conference Line: 1 (877) 952-2063
Participant Code: 31875622