Personal Safety Equipment
At minimum, a DOT approved helmet, goggles, gloves, long sleeves & pants, and over the ankle riding boots.
Know Your Limits
Only operate at speeds in which you can maintain control at all times. Don't ride faster than your capabiltity.
Never Go Alone
Always ride with at least one other person, but preferable in groups of three. If one rider is hurt, someone can stay with the rider while the other one gets help. Never move an injured rider.
Reach & Operate
Remember that every operator is required to be able to reach and operate all controls necessary to safely operate the vehicle. Placing children on ATV's or other OHV's that are too large for them, may not only be unsafe but may also be against the law and parents may be held responsible.
Protect your right to play, www.treadlightly.org
Are you ready to ride?
- Is your REGISTRATION current and the sticker mounted properly? Are you riding in the correct season - red sticker season is OPEN October 1 through May 31 at Hollister Hills SVRA. Red sticker season is CLOSED June 1 through September 31.
When you register your off-highway Vehicle (OHV) with the Department of Motor Vehicles, you will be issued a red or green sticker dependent on the type of OHV. Red sticker and green stickers are a method of regulation implemented by the California Air Resources Board to reduce air quality impact of OHV’s. To learn more, visit ww2.arb.ca.gov/
Is your SOUND EMISSIONS less than 96 decibels? Noise Limit Law – AB 2274
Do you have the minimum appropriate SAFETY GEAR? (Department of Transportation approved helmet, goggles, gloves, long sleeves/pants, and over the ankle riding boots.)
For more Frequently Asked Questions
Don’t know where to start? Try one of our ATV or Motorcycle safety courses. Contact Cheryl.Ashton@parks.ca.gov or (831) 638-3386
ATV Specific LawsIn California, there are laws specific to operating an ATV on public lands.
- Double riding (or 2 people on an ATV) that is not designed for it is against the law, and unsafe.
- Operators are required to wear a helmet at all times while riding an ATV on public lands.
- Must possess an ATV Safety Certificate OR
- Be under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian who has completed an ATV safety course and has an ATV Safety Certificate in their possession.
- Additionally, riders 13 years of age and younger must be directly supervised by a parent or guardian at all times.
ROV Specific LawsIn California, there are laws specific to operating an ROV on public lands.
- An operator must be 16 years of age or older, OR be under the direct supervision of a parent, guardian, or other adult.
- A DOT approved helmet is required for operator and passenger(s).
- Seatbelts or safety harness is required for all occupants.
- Passengers must occupy a separate seat location designed and provided by the manufacturer and must be seated upright, with back against the seatback and able to grasp the occupant handhold when seatbelt/safety harness is properly fastened.
Hollister Hills specific...
- Trails are TWO-WAY. Slow around blind corners.
- ROV's are only allowed to operate in the 4x4 areas of the park (Upper Ranch and Hudner Ranch) and the main road of the Lower Ranch. There are NO trails at Hollister Hills where ATV's, ROV's, and motorcycles can recreate together.