Red Sticker Operation: OPEN October 1 through May 31. Closed June 1 through September 31.
Hours: Open 365 days a year. Vehicle operation and day use is from sunrise to sunset
Fees: Day Use $5 per vehicle. Camping $10 per vehicle per night
Hollister Hills State Vehicular Recreation Area
Currently, the ONLY reservable sites are:
- 2 remote campsites in Hudner Ranch 4x4 area
- ADA campsites in Lower Ranch (dirt bike & ATV area)
- Walnut Camp will be added to the reservation system in the near future
All other camping and day use remain first-come, first-serve based on availability.
COVID-19 Guidelines (February 16, 2022)
Protect yourself, family, friends and your community by following these prevention measures:
- Know Before You Go – Prior to leaving home, check the status of the park unit you want to visit to find out what restrictions and guidelines are in place. Have a back-up plan in case your destination is crowded. Stay home if you are sick
- Plan Ahead – Some restrooms will be temporarily closed to keep up with cleaning schedules. Bring soap/hand sanitizer.
- Play It Safe – Find out what precautions you should take when exploring the outdoors, especially if this is your first time visiting the State Park System. Learn more at parks.ca.gov/SafetyTips.
- Be COVID-19 Safe – State Parks continues to meet guidance from local and state public officials as COVID-19 is still present and still deadly. Effective March 1, 2022, state guidance recommends that all individuals, regardless of vaccine status, continue masking in indoor settings, such as museums and visitor centers. Universal masking remains required in specified high-risk settings. Please plan ahead as local county guidelines may differ from state guidance and visitors are urged to follow county guidelines when required. Read the latest COVID-19 guidance at COVID19.ca.gov.
- Leave No Trace – Leave areas better than how you found them by staying on designated trails and packing out all trash. Do not disturb wildlife or plants.
To opt-in to receive text messages on your mobile phone regarding park updates, text "hollisterhills" to 74121
- Lower Ranch (motorcycle & ATV) - Granitic, Adobe, Renz (See map)
- Upper Ranch (4x4)
- Hudner Ranch (4x4)
CLOSED (For public safety and natural resource, everything on Adobe Clay soil closes when wet due to its unique slick and sticky properties.)
Hollister Hills State Vehicle Recreation Area (SVRA) is California State Parks’ first SVRA. Located in the Gabilan Mountains, just an hour’s drive south of San Jose, this unique park features over 6,800 acres and nearly 200 miles of trails in scenic and varied terrain. Visitors are drawn to the natural beauty of the park’s oak woodlands, rolling hills, lush canyons, and seasonal creeks with elevations ranging from 660 feet to 2,425 feet. Hollister Hills SVRA offers numerous off-highway vehicle (OHV) opportunities as well as designated hiking, bicycling, and equestrian trails.
The park straddles the San Andreas Fault. The North American tectonic plate (North East side) consists of clay-rich adobe soil with rolling hills covered in grassland and oak woodlands. The Pacific tectonic plate (South West) consists of granitic soil with steeper terrain with pine, sage, and chaparral taking root in the sandy soil. The Pacific and North American tectonic plates have been sliding past each other for 30 million years at a current rate of about 1.5 inches per year.
To read more about the geology, plants and animals of the park visit our natural history site.
To read more about the park's story, visit our cultural history site.