USFS - Inyo NF - Patrol District
INF Patrol District General Application Requirements
• No comment
INF Law Enforcement: G13-02-39-L01
• In the County Section, Tulare County should be checked as the Monache Meadow area is in Tulare County.
• We support INF's request for an FPO based in Monache with some reservations. What is really needed is a Forest Service Recreation person, not a cop. The actions/duties of the last INF on-site person bears this out. The Grant portion associated with the Monache area should be more of a 20%/80%, Law Enforcement/Operations split.
• The protection of the "Monache Dunes" in the Southern Zone, as stated in the Grant application, is not the issue and is only a minimal problem. However, by far the biggest OHV issues/problems in this Zone are Wilderness incursion and OHV riding in a Designated Wild and Scenic River bed.
• There is a strong need for OHV LE/FPO presents in Monache Meadow area of INF:
o Area has become the focal point of major OHV traffic/abuse from the adjacent SNF and their developed OHV opportunities and major trail heads leading into the Monache area of southern INF.
o Monache Meadow has become an OHV lawless area as noted in the Grant application with no INF OHV patrol or presence for the past 6 years.
o Wilderness incursions into South Sierra Wilderness and Golden Trout Wilderness at four major points of entry points by OHV and non-OHV users.
o Unauthorized OHV riding up and down the South Fork of the Kern River (Designated as a Wild and Scenic River) continues to be a big problem.
o It is recommended that the FPO duty request be increased from 150 days to 175 days
• It is our belief that 150 days not enough to cover shift overlap and/or training. The Monache area typically is open from Memorial Day (5/25) by SNF to the end of X-10 Deer Hunt (10/12). This equates to 20 weeks = 140 days.
• Is the cost growth from the 2012 grant (29%) solely related to the addition of the Monache FPO? Forest Service should explain.
• The INF should consider revising this grant and combining it with G13-02-02-G01 on a 20/80 or 25/75, LE/Ground Operations split.
These comments are being submitted as an OHV enthusiast, a SVRA Volunteer OHV Patrolman (Hungry Valley), a Monache trail rider and on behave of the 31+ Property Owners, Cattle Permitees and the many seasonal recreationalists and hunters of the Kern Plateau. Dion Salfen - 3/30/14