Clay Pit SVRA
Protect yourself, family, friends and your community by following these prevention measures:
- Know Before You Go – Prior to leaving home, check the status of the park unit you want to visit to find out what restrictions and guidelines are in place. Have a back-up plan in case your destination is crowded. Stay home if you are sick
- Plan Ahead – Some restrooms will be temporarily closed to keep up with cleaning schedules. Bring soap/hand sanitizer.
- Play It Safe – Find out what precautions you should take when exploring the outdoors, especially if this is your first time visiting the State Park System. Learn more at parks.ca.gov/SafetyTips.
- Be COVID-19 Safe – State Parks continues to meet guidance from local and state public officials as COVID-19 is still present and still deadly. Starting Feb. 16, 2022, state guidance requires masking for unvaccinated individuals in indoor settings, such as museums and visitor centers. Fully vaccinated individuals are recommended to continue indoor masking when the risk may be high. Please plan ahead as local county guidelines may differ from state guidance and visitors are urged to follow county guidelines when required. Read the latest COVID-19 guidance at COVID19.ca.gov.
- Leave No Trace – Leave areas better than how you found them by staying on designated trails and packing out all trash. Do not disturb wildlife or plants.
What is open now?
- Staging Area for loading and unloading
- Open riding area for motorcycle, ATV and 4x4 vehicles
Welcome to Clay Pit State Vehicular Recreation Area!
Clay Pit SVRA is located two miles west of the town of Oroville. This 220-acre SVRA provides a fenced open riding area for motorcycle, ATV, and 4x4 recreationists. Clay Pit, a large shallow depression (pit) ringed with low hills, was formed when clay was mined and used in the construction of the Oroville Dam.
Summer weather is usually hot and dry with temperatures ranging from the mid-80s to the low-100s. Fall days are typically mild and warm while nights tend to be cool. Temperatures during the winter months range from the low-30s to mid-to-high 50s. Spring weather is variable with temperatures normally in the high 60s to 70s.
Facilities available at the park include shade ramadas, picnic tables, and a vault toilet.