Clay Pit SVRA
Here are some guidelines for people visiting Clay Pit State Vehicular Recreation Area:
What is open now?
Clay Pit SVRA is now open to vehicular access and parking for day-use recreation at the following facilities:
- Staging Area for loading and unloading
- Open riding area for motorcycle, ATV and 4x4 vehicles
What is currently closed at this park and throughout the State Park System?
- High public-use indoor facilities, including museums and visitor centers.
- Special events and tours continue to be canceled until further notice.
Are there any new visitor guidelines?
Yes, please see below:
- Stay Local: Stay close to home. Walk or bike into the park. Parking is very limited. Do not take road trips to parks and beaches or to neighboring states.
- Stay Active: Keep walking, jogging, hiking and biking. Watch for one-way trails.
- Stay Safer at 6 Feet: Maintain a physical distance of 6 feet or more. Gatherings, picnics and parties are not allowed. Visitors will be asked to leave if there are too many people at the park, beach or on trails to allow for the required physical distance.
- Stay Clean: Be prepared. Bring soap/sanitizer and pack out all trash.
- Stay Covered: If your county health orders require it, please be sure to wear face coverings when you cannot maintain a safe 6-foot distance from others.
Thank you for your patience and continued support of California State Parks as we work to limit your risk for exposure to COVID-19 in the outdoors. For more information, please visit parks.ca.gov/FlattenTheCurve.
Welcome to Clay Pit State Vehicular Recreation Area!
Clay Pit SVRA is located two miles west of the town of Oroville. This 220-acre SVRA provides a fenced open riding area for motorcycle, ATV, and 4x4 recreationists. Clay Pit, a large shallow depression (pit) ringed with low hills, was formed when clay was mined and used in the construction of the Oroville Dam.
Summer weather is usually hot and dry with temperatures ranging from the mid-80s to the low-100s. Fall days are typically mild and warm while nights tend to be cool. Temperatures during the winter months range from the low-30s to mid-to-high 50s. Spring weather is variable with temperatures normally in the high 60s to 70s.
Facilities available at the park include shade ramadas, picnic tables, and a vault toilet.